The Herxheimer Reaction occurs when the body is detoxifying too rapidly and toxins are being released faster than the body can eliminate them.[v] When this occurs, one will suffer from headaches, nausea, vomiting, and malaise. Even though this is but a short period of the health program, it can be severe and deter one from reaching their intended goals. Also, the person may not know what they are experiencing and think that they are regressing.
* To minimize the Herxheimer Reaction:
* Drinks lots of pure water
* Get minimal exercise daily
* Lots of sunshine
* Take detoxification slowly... one step at a time
* Don't increase the dose of herbals
* Keep the organs of elimination (bowels, lungs, skin, kidneys) open
* Take detox baths
* Use aromatherapy oils for aches -like peppermint, birch, and wintergreen
* Sweat by using exercise, saunas, baths, and herbs
* Avoid foreign chemicals and refined processed foods
If the Herxheimer reaction occurs, cut back on your health detoxification program. Reduce the dose of herbs and follow the above outline to reduce the symptoms of toxin elimination. The more toxins there are to eliminate, the sicker one is when they come out. Generally, one will feel better when all is over and health is restored again. Just remember, don't give up.